Tayammum Purification, is called earth or sand ablution and it is an act of making ablution with clean soil, sand or stone when water is not available. As it is with water ablution, Tayammum is also a commandment from Allah and a mercy from Him to Prophet Muhammed (SAW) and His Ummah.
In Surah Maidah, verse 6, Allah says:
"...if you cannot find any water, then do Tayammum with pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands."
In an Hadith narrated by Jabir Ibn Abdullahi (RA), The Prophet (saw) says:
"...The earth has been made for me and my followers a place for praying and performing Tayammum. Therefore, my followers should pray wherever the time of salat becomes due."
Also, Hudhaifa narrated from the Prophet(SAW) that:
"The soil of the earth has been made for us as a means of purification when we do not find water."
It is now clear that Tayammum has the same position as Wuduh (Purification). Muslims must not delay Salat because water is not available. They must use sand or stone to be able continue their prayer.
READ MORE: How To Welcome New Child In Islam
Here are some conditions which necessitate Tayammum Purification
- Absence of water makes Tayammum necessary.
- When one is ill, and cannot use water to perform ablution, Tayammum is necessary.
- One can do Tayammum when one is on a journey and getting water is difficult.
- You can perform Tayammum so as not to lose reward of a congregational prayer.
- An old person can do Tayammum to pray if using water will make the person sick.
- One can perform Tayammum if there is a fear that one will be attacked by enemies or wild animals where there is water.
- You can perform Tayammum during period of emergency such as war, riot, etc.