This is the Sultan Mihrimah Mosque, the Ottoman Mosque, located in the Edimekapi district in the European part of Istanbul. This is one of the many early works of the architect Sinan, which were commissioned by Princess Mihrima, the beloved daughter of Suleiman the Magnificent, and her husband Rustem Pasa.
This Mihrimah Mosque is located on the sixth and highest of the seven hills of Istanbul, at an altitude of about 77 meters above sea level.
Construction work took place between 1562 and 1565 CE. It was recently restored to its former glory after several earthquakes.
The mosque has a large courtyard with a surrounding madrasa (Islamic school) formed by internal porticoes. A large ablution fountain is located in the center of the courtyard. There is only one minaret that actually collapsed through the roof of a mosque during the 1894 earthquake.
The interior is a cube under a dome with a diameter of 20 meters and a height of 37 meters. Most of the inner surface is covered with windows, making the mosque one of the brightest illuminated works of Sinan. Stencil trim is made in a modern style, but the white marble carved out of marble is taken from the original design.
This mosque is considered one of the greatest works of Sinan, perhaps because the architect was fascinated by the beautiful Mihrimah. Raised on the platform, it can be seen throughout the city, and the area under it is occupied by shops. Despite the fact that the building was constructed in accordance with the standard Ottoman pattern, the building is very different in design from many other Sinan mosques, being very high (37 m) compared to the ground it covers.
Source: Rough Guide to Istanbul, Wikipedia