A record number of Muslim MPs have been elected in UK’s general election last Friday, with an increase of four from the last election in 2017, 5 Pillars UK reported.
From the 15 sitting Muslim MPs elected in 2017, 14 held on to their seats with exception to Labour’s Faisal Rashid who lost in Warrington South to the Conservatives.
Three new MPs were elected in Poplar & Limehouse, Coventry
South, and Birmingham Hall Green.
Three Muslim MPs were also reelected for the Conservative party,
while Saqib Bhatti won Meriden.
Despite this, Muslims are still not proportionally represented in parliament.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservatives have won 365 seats — 47 more than they won in the last election, in 2017.
The victory is the party’s biggest since Margaret Thatcher
captured a third term in 1987.
Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party had to reach even farther back to find a more extreme result. It won 203 seats, down 59 from the previous vote, in its worst showing since 1935. It had not suffered a similar drubbing since 1983 when it took 209 seats.
Voter turnout for the 2019 general election was down from
two years ago with only 67.23% voting in comparison to 68.7% in 2017.
Below is the list compiled by 5 Pillars UK for the winning
* The list includes Sajid Javid, who said formerly that he
is not a practicing Muslim and Imran Khan who is Ahmadiya.
- Rushanara Ali kept her seat in Bethnal Green & Bow with 44,052 votes (72% of vote share).
- Yasmin Qureshi kept her seat in Bolton South East with 21,516 votes (53% of vote share).
- Shabana Mahmood kept her seat in Birmingham Ladypool with 33.355 votes (79.2% of vote share).
- Naz Shah kept her seat in Bradford West with 33,736 votes (76.2% of vote share).
- Imran Hussein kept his seat in Bradford East with 27,825 votes (63% of vote share).
- Khalid Mahmood kept his seat in Birmingham Perry Barr with 26,594 votes (63.1% of vote share).
- Mohammed Yasin kept his seat in Bedford with a majority of 145 votes (43.3% of vote share).
- Tulip Siddiq kept her seat in Hampstead & Kilburn with 28,080 votes (48.9% of vote share).
- Rupa Huq kept her seat in Ealing Central & Acton with 28,132 votes (51.3% of vote share).
- Rosena Allin-Khan kept her seat in Tooting with 30,811 votes (52.7% of vote share).
- Afzal Khan kept his seat in Manchester Gorton with 34,583 votes (77.6% of vote share).
- Apsana Begum won Poplar & Limehouse with 38,660 votes (62% of vote)
- Zarah Sultana won Coventry South with 19,544 votes (43.4% of vote share).
- Tahir Ali won Birmingham Hall Green with 35,889 votes (67.8% of vote share).
- Rehman Chishti kept his seat in Gillingham & Rainham with 28,173 votes (61.3% vote share).
- Nusrat Ghani kept her seat in Wealden with 37,043 votes (60.8% vote share).
- Sajid Javid kept his seat in Bromsgrove with 34,408 votes (63.4% vote share).
- Saqib Bhatti won Meriden with 34,358 votes (63.4% of vote share).
- Imran Khan from Wakefield 21,283 votes