[Q-ID0772] Does the evil eye exist, what are its signs and how do I remove its affect on me?
What do the scholars of the Dīn and muftīs of the Sacred Law state regarding the following issue: Does the evil eye afflict people and which people’s gaze afflicts others? If the evil eye afflicts someone how can they ascertain that it has? What is the cure for the evil eye?
Questioner: Brother from UK
بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم
الجواب بعون الملک الوھاب اللھم ھدایۃ الحق والصواب
The evil eye afflicting someone is a reality as is mentioned in the blessed hadīth of the Prophet ﷺ:
“There is nothing in (that which people conjecture about) the owl and the evil eye is a reality.”
[Sunan al-Tirmidhi hadīth 2061]
There is no principle mentioned in the Sharī’ah to identify those people whose glance results in the evil eye afflicting others but in light of experience I will mention something. Those people whose glance results in the evil eye afflicting others are such that when a person sees them he generally becomes unwell and anger arises in him and he feels a strange sense of unease. Or he sees a dream about that person and the one who looks with the evil eye is only gazing at him intently in the dream and doing nothing else. The gaze of an envious person can also result in the evil eye befalling someone and sometimes it can come about from the gaze of one’s own parents.
There are some signs of the evil eye afflicting someone that are mentioned below:
1) Continual urge to urinate and pain that begins at the eyes and temples and then ascends upwards towards the head
2) Outbreak of reddish blue spots on the body often on the face back and thighs
3) The face yellowing
4) Yawning a lot and flowing of tears from the eyes during Qur’anic recital and Prayer
5) The heart becoming bored with work, weakening of the memory and being inattentive
6) Continual flow of saliva like froth or white phlegm
7) Seeing someone staring at oneself attentively or seeing eyes during sleep or when litanies are recited over oneself
8) Intense fluttering of the eyes
9) A child not drinking it’s mother’s milk and crying excessively
10) Heaviness in ones eyelashes and eyebrows
11) Feeling a burden in one’s joints
One of the cures for the evil eye is to recite the following du’ā and blow on the afflicted person:
“بِسْمِ اللَّهِ أَرْقِيكَ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ يُؤْذِيكَ، وَمِنْ شَرِّ كُلِّ نَفْسٍ أَوْ عَيْنِ حَاسِدٍ اللَّهُ يَشْفِيكَ بِسْمِ اللَّهِ أَرْقِيكَ”
Allāh Willing the effect of the evil eye will go and this du’ā has been mentioned for this purpose in numerous ahādīth.
The second cure is to recite the Mu’āwwidhatayn (Sūrah al-Falaq and Sūrah al-Nās) and blow upon the afflicted person. The evil eye will be removed by this just as is mentioned in the narration of Sayyidunā Abū Sa’īd al-Khudrī (May Allāh be pleased with him):
“The Messenger of Allāh ﷺ would seek refuge against the jinn, and the evil eye of humans until the Mu’awwidhatayn were revealed. When they were revealed he took them and left other than them.”
[Sunan al-Tirmidhī hadīth 2058]
واللہ تعالی اعلم ورسولہ اعلم صلی اللہ علیہ وآلہ وسلم
کتبہ ابو الحسن محمد قاسم ضیاء قادری
Answered by Mufti Qasim Zia al-Qadri
Translated by Ustadh Ibrar Shafi
Read the original Urdu answer here: [Q-ID0772] Does the evil eye exist, what are its signs and how do I remove its affect on me?