Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the last prophet and Messenger of Allah Almighty. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was a simple man. He (SAW) ate from whatever was available, sat on the floor without hesitation, and was not from those who chased the material of this worldly life. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) always emphasized His humanity and advised people who over-revered Him.
Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was a man of honor in all matters of life whether related to health, physical or spiritual things. Muslims should simply follow the Sunnah of Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in every matter of life. The habits of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) has many benefits that science proved later after the research of many years.
Healthy Habits of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
Below mentioned are some of Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) healthy habits, which scientifically proven later.
- Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to wake up early in the morning and start his day by offering Fajr prayer. Science proved that waking up early increases productivity, as well as people who wake up early, are less likely to be depressed and better health in general. So, we should try to wake up early and begin improving our quality of life.
- Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to eat less to prevent disease and sickness, after many years science proved eating less can help us to fight with many diseases. The Islamic concept of eating ‘1/3 for your food, 1/3 for your liquids, and 1/3 for your breath’ match very closely to the Japanese healthy eating ‘Hara Hachi Bu’ concept, which means eat until you are only 80% full.
- One should eat slowly as our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to eat slowly. Slow eating will help us eat less food and improve our digestion process that science proved later.
- Today science proved that eating together with family reduces stress. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) always advised us to eat together as a family. There is a hadith related to eating together which stated: “Eat together and not separately, for the blessing is associated with the company.” (Ibn Majah)
- Science has proved that when a person drinks too much water in a short period of time they can experience headaches, an imbalance in blood electrolyte levels and sometimes dizziness too. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) told us to drink water in two or three breaths, not in one breath.
- Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to eat Pomegranates and today science proved that pomegranates are the healthiest fruits on earth.
- Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to fast not just in Ramadan but also on every Monday and Thursday, and also on the 13th, 14thand 15th of each month. Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) told Muslims to fast during Ramadan. Today the Japanese scientists declared fasting in Ramadan is highly healthy and helps the body fight cancer cells.
- Muslims breaks their fast with dates. They stabilize the blood sugar level, electrolyte levels and rebalance blood in our body. Science proved that dates can boost Oxycontin production in the body and speed up labor.
- Prayer itself is a form of exercise that requires movement of our body’s muscles and joints. Good health is necessary if you intend to fast or participate in Hajj. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) strongly encouraged physical exercise and told parents to encourage physical activity in their children too. Science tells us to do exercise daily to keep our heart and brain healthy.