This is the church of St. Anne, a Roman Catholic church located near the Lion’s Gate in the Muslim quarter of the old city. According to Christian sources, this church is built on the place where Mary was born (peace be upon her), the mother of the prophet Isa (peace be upon him). The church is named after Anne (Hannah), her mother, who lived here.
Her father’s name was Imran ibn Mathan. Her mother’s full name was Hannah bint Faqudh. Both of them were very religious and had a high status in the eyes of Allah. Hannah was deprived of a child until she reached old age.
It so happened that once she sat under the shade of a tree when she saw a bird feeding her young child. She was touched by this sight and cried, asking for Allah for her own child. She vowed that if she was gifted one, she would offer the child to serve in the sanctuary, Beit al-Maqdis.
She got pregnant. Her husband Imran died before her birth, so Maryam (peace be upon her) was born as an yatim (orphan). Hannah took care of her until she grew up, and to fulfill her oath, she offered her sanctuary.
The usual custom was that only men were offered to serve in Beit al-Maqdis. However, Maryam (peace be upon her) was accepted. All the worshipers wanted to take care of her, but the Prophet Zakaria (peace be upon him) was chosen as her guardian, because he was her uncle.
The current structure of the church was built by the Crusaders in 1140 AD. When Muslims seized Jerusalem in 1189 AD, the church was not destroyed, but turned into a madressa (seminary) by Salahuddin Ayyubi, called al-Madrasa al-Salahiyah. His name in the Arabic inscription above the main entrance.
The Story of Maryam [Mother Of Jesus] Birthplace of Maryam(upon her be peace)
Location In Map