56 Umar ibn al-Khattab Quotes
Before I write some quotes by Umar (ra) I’d like to quickly give some information about the great man! I’ll keep it brief as I’ve written a bit more in the Umar lessons.
Umar ibn Al-Khattab was from the Quraysh of Makkah, he was a very powerful and astute man even before he became muslim! He was very blunt in his words and stood firmly for what he believed in.
After he became a Muslim he was one the closest companions of the Prophet (saw). Hadhrat Umar Ibn Al-Khattab had many sayings and all of which can be appropriate to anyone at anytime.
Quotes by Umar (ra) are very powerful as he was the foremost in matter of knowledge and learning among his contemporaries. Umar also written as Omar was the second Caliph of Islam and what a great Amir he was (ra).
There are many distinctions of Umar bin Al-Khattab, He was the first Muslim ruler (Caliph) to be known by the title of Amir ul Mumineen. Please check the post on the distinctions of Umar bin Al-Khattab (ra) here.
The Quotes by Umar (ra) below are varied in subjects and I really hope these quotes of the great man enable us to become more enlightened in our thinking and actions.
Quotes by Umar (ra)
Here are the various sayings attributed to Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra) which have been gathered from various sources in the biography of Hadhrat Umar Farooque (ra) by Prof. Masud ul Hasan.
- “He who keeps his own counsel keeps his affairs in his own hands.”
- “Fear him, whom you hate.”
- “The wisest man is he who can account for his actions.”
- “Do not put off today’s work for tomorrow.”
- “Money cannot help lifting its head.”
- “What regresses, never progresses.”
- “He who does now know evil will fall into it.”
- “When a man puts me a question, I judge of his intelligence.”
- “Don’t forget your own self while preaching to others.”
- “The less of the World, the freer you live.”
- “Avoidance of sin is lighter than the pain of remorse.”
- “On every dishonest man, there are two watchmen, his possessions, and his way of living.”
- “If patience and gratitude had been she camels, it would have mattered little on which I rode.”
- “May Allah have mercy on him who sends me my faults as a present.”
- “Preserve the sayings of those people who are indifferent to the world. They say only that what Allah wishes them to say.”
- “Fear Allah, for He alone lives; all other things are liable to perish.”
- “The wisest among you is he whose sustenance is the fear of Allah.”
- “Praise Allah, for by praise His blessings multiply.”
- “Fear Allah, for that is fortune; indifference to Allah is misfortune.”
- “Be patient; patience is a pillar of faith.”
More Quotes by Umar bin Al-Khattab
- “Acquire knowledge and teach it to people.”
- “Be dignified, honest and truthful.”
- “Do not be an arrogant scholar, for scholarship cannot subsist with arrogance.”
- “When you see that any scholar loves the world, then his scholarship is in doubt.”
- “God forbid, men should be jealous of knowledge as they are jealous of women.”
- “May Allah bless the man who says less and does more.”
- “The criterion of action is that todays work should not be deferred till the following day.”
- “Trust is that there should be no difference between what you do and say and what you think.”
- “Learn the Arabic language; it will sharpen your wisdom.”
- “Luxury is an obstacle, and so is the fatness of the body.”
- “A man may be as straight as an arrow, but even then he will have some critics.”
- “O Allah do not give me in excess lest I may be disobedient.”
- “Allah loves moderation and hates extravagance and excess.”
- “He who went to the kings to seek favours went away from Allah.”
- “Sit with those who love Allah, for that enlightens the mind.”
The ruler whose intention is good will have the help of Allah in the administration of his affairs; he whose intention is bad will come to disgrace.
The judge should always uphold the principle of equality before law.
May Allah curse the people who hesitate to dine with the slaves.
Do not be mislead by a person’s prayers and fasting; look to his sincerity and wisdom.
Do not be misled by hearing of any one’s reputation.
He trusts in Allah who sows the seed in the ground then depends on Him.
Earning of livelihood by following some profession is better than living on charity.
He who has public responsibility should perform his duties without caring for criticism.
He is to be preferred who has the urge to sin, but does not sin.
Do not depend upon the morality of a person until you have seen him behave while in anger.
I am surprised at 3 things. Man runs from death while it is inevitable. One sees minor faults of others, but overlooks his major faults. When there is any defect to one’s cattle he tries to cure it, but does not cure his own defects.
To flatter is to slaughter.
He, who pretends to be what he is not, is a hypocrite.
If a person has ten habits out of which nine are bad, that bad one will destroy the good ones.
Do not overeat; that invites disease.
He who wins through fraud is no winner.
He who wants paradise should hold fast to the community.
The efficacy of a prayer depends not on the words but on the sincerity of intention.
In the narration of facts refrain from poetising.
O I am not worried about the poverty of Muslims. I am afraid lest by getting rich they might become proud and thereby invite destruction.
In the performance of your duties neither be over zealous, nor indifferent.
Hopefully these 56 Quotes by Umar (ra) will have a positive affect in your life somehow and it will make you more God conscious as the sahabas were the real stars, you could follow any one of them and you would be guided.
Please let me know your thoughts about the Quotes by Umar (ra) I would be happy to reply.